Join Our Team
Working at Margaret’s is about connecting people to hope.
We actively work to bridge the gap between mental health and homelessness. We provide a judgment-free, confidential safe space where individuals can seek a path of recovery and early intervention.
We provide compassionate care that helps reduce poverty and homelessness, and helps at-risk individuals overcome the struggles and stigma of mental illness while reclaiming their lives.
We’re always looking for people who are as passionate and committed to making a difference as we are.
Join our team!
Help achieve our goals.
Job Posting: High Support Transitional Housing – Housing Support Worker
Job Title: High Support Transitional Housing – Housing Support Worker
Margaret’s mission is to provide a continuum of housing and support services for individuals experiencing mental health and additions issues, along with contributing and resulting intersectional issues tied to mental health challenges and homelessness, through innovative programming, advocacy, and education, which empowers them to build and reclaim their lives.
Reporting to the Manager of Housing, the Housing Support Worker’s role will be to provide support, life skills coaching, and guidance to individuals living in the High Support Transitional Housing program. The worker must collaborate in a warm and collegial fashion with their fellow team members including other employees, volunteers/placement students, as well as referral agencies to ensure successful and prolonged community integration and tenancy for the clients and residents we serve.
- Provide supportive counseling and a positive and vibrant environment for residents, treating everyone with dignity and respect and helping them feel supported and valued
- Provide life skills instruction and instructions to clients on an ongoing basis, empowering them to developing independent life skills
- Guide clients in the decision making process, helping them evaluate options and information; act as a sounding board as required and assist with life goals setting
- Advocate for clients who require assistance
- Facilitate meetings with clients ensuring that discussions are respectful and provide a safe environment for raising concerns and questions
- Provide crisis support for clients assessing physical and emotional states to ensure a safe environment for all individuals; perform emergency first aid as required
- Manage conflict and provide one-on-one support to clients in need
- Monitor symptoms of illness and impact on individual functioning and continued community tenancy
- Perform routine administrative tasks including, but not limited to: maintaining confidential files; completing forms; petty cash transactions, etc.
- Participate in ongoing learning and development as required
- Perform additional tasks/duties and special projects as required
- Work in close proximity with vulnerable residents, who may be high-needs, and clients accessing crisis beds and requiring crisis management support
- Work in collaboration with other staff members, volunteers/placement students to provide services to resident and clients
- This position requires shift work and the incumbent may be scheduled to regularly work evening and overnight shifts, weekends, and holidays
- The incumbent may occasionally be required to provide coverage for shifts in the event of an emergency
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Completion of a college and/or university program in social work, psychology, or other social science or health-related discipline required
- Minimum one year experience working in a social service environment as a worker/volunteer or in a support capacity – work experience may replace formal educational requirements
- Experience working with individuals experiencing mental health and addictions issues
- Awareness of recovery, harm reduction, anti-oppression, and anti-racism framework and principles
- The incumbent must have demonstrated ability to provide Life Skills Coaching and possess good Crisis Management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills, with a high level of empathy and social and emotional intelligence
- A strong desire to contribute to a community based organization and the improvement of the quality of life for members of a marginalized community
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, in a team environment
- Ability to lift, bend, and perform light maintenance tasks
All employees and new hires are required to be fully vaccinated and must provide proof of vaccination. Precautions and health & safety guidelines regarding COVID-19 are applied and followed.
Margaret’s Housing and Community Support Services Inc. is committed to Employment Equity and welcomes all applicants. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume via email, attention to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title in the email subject line. Phone calls are not accepted. While we thank all applicants for taking the time to apply, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Email: Cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources: email@example.com
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and learn how we’re helping the vulnerable in our community reclaim their lives!
Give a little.
Change a lot.
Your gift makes a difference! Partner with us in support of life changing programs. For donation enquiries email us at firstname.lastname@example.org