Helping Seniors Stay Active in Their Communities
Helping Seniors Stay Active
Ontario Supporting Local Projects that Support Healthy &
Ontario is supporting up to 460 new projects through the Seniors Community Grant program to help seniors get involved and stay active in their communities.
Minister of Seniors Affairs Dipika Damerla made the announcement this morning at the Coniston Community Gardens in Sudbury, which offers local seniors the opportunity to enjoy raised gardening beds in a city-owned park with the support of experienced gardeners.
The Seniors Community Grant program supports initiatives and projects in the non-profit sector that help seniors across the province stay involved and active in their communities, find volunteer opportunities and engage in continuous learning, with programming and services specifically for seniors.
Supporting healthy, active seniors across the province is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- The government is providing $11 million over the next three years towards the Seniors Community Grant program, including $2.7 million today for funding up to 460 projects across the province.
- The theme of this year’s Seniors Month in Ontario is “Live Your Best Life.” The Seniors Community Grant helps to support seniors living active, healthy and engaged lives in their communities.
- Launched in 2014, the program has invested $7.7 million to support more than 1,300 projects to help approximately 435,000 seniors across the province.
- Up to 460 projects will receive a total of up to $2.7 million in funding benefitting approximately 185,000 seniors. This represents the highest number of projects funded in a single year since the program’s inception.
- June is Seniors’ Month: an opportunity to celebrate and honour the knowledge, experience and the contributions that seniors make every day in communities across Ontario.
- Seniors Community Grant program background for 2017
- Ministry of Seniors Affairs
- Read more about how the 2017 Ontario Budget is helping seniors.